Monday, March 25, 2013

Book Review

Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians DebateTORN: Rescuing the Gospel from the gays -vs.- Christian debate
by Justin Lee
Jericho Books / 2012

Reviewed by Diane Busch


To be honest, the reason I read this book is because my pastor encouraged our church staff to read it.  And I’m glad I did.  I was educated.  I came away sympathetic and compassionate toward Justin and other Christians who find themselves in this situation of being Christ followers who have same-sex attraction.  Formerly, I didn’t know that could occur.  Not knowing anyone personally who is gay, I have only thought of homosexuality as a choice and as a sin.  


I was also educated about the definition of the word “gay” - that someone who says they are gay only means they have same-sex attraction, and not that they necessarily act on that attraction.  


From reading this book I have changed my attitude toward gays and lesbians--to not be condemning in thought if I am introduced or find out.  To love everyone in Jesus’ name and not be judgmental.  There are no levels or degrees of sin--a liar is no less of a sinner than a thief, etc.  And if a gay man is just being tempted by his attraction and no sin is committed, than is that any different than a thief who is tempted to steal but does not?  Temptation is not a sin.  Even Jesus was tempted.


We still don’t know all the answers.  These issues will continue to be discussed in our churches.  We will continue to be Christ followers who read scripture and pray for wisdom from God.  We will love God and love people.  All people.  Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment